By José Camacho, Josa(c) Camacho, Rodrigo Gutia(c)Rrez-Bravo, Liliana Sanchez
This selection of articles explores how the grammar of numerous local languages of The Americas provides new and outdated info, question-formation and different capabilities relating to the wider discourse. The strategies addressed within the assortment are defined in an advent to the amount. incorporated languages are Karaja, Kuikuro, Lushootseed, Southern Quechua, Shipbo, Tariana, Yaqui and Yucatec Maya.
Read Online or Download Information Structure in Indigenous Languages of the Americas PDF
Similar language & grammar books
Gestures are popular in verbal exchange and tightly associated with language and speech. As such they could shed very important mild on problems with language improvement around the lifespan. This quantity, initially released as a unique factor of Gesture quantity 8:2 (2008), brings jointly stories from various disciplines that learn language improvement in teenagers and adults from various views.
Concentrating on info prestige and noncanonical note order in English, this paintings considers buildings which contain both preposing or postposing or either (argument reversal). just about noncanonical notice order, the publication considers the difficulty of what constitutes popular as opposed to strange info inside of an utterance, in addition to the connection among universal details and the resource of its familiarity.
In Strategic Maneuvering in Argumentative Discourse, Frans H. van Eemeren brings jointly the dialectical and the rhetorical dimensions of argumentation by means of introducing the idea that of strategic maneuvering. Strategic maneuvering refers back to the arguer’s continuous efforts to reconcile aiming for effectiveness with being average.
During this quantity, the connection among clitics and affixes and their combinatorial homes has ended in a significant dialogue of the interface among syntax, morphology, semantics, and phonology that pulls on various theoretical views (e. g. , HPSG , Optimality idea, Minimalism). Clitic/affix phenomena offer a wealthy variety of knowledge, not just for the identity of an affix vs.
- Evidentiality: The Linguistic Coding of Epistemology (Advances in Discourse Processes) (v. 20)
- Writing Anthropology: A Call for Uninhibited Methods
- Semantic Under-Determinacy and Communication
- Values and Virtues: Aristotelianism in Contemporary Ethics (Mind Association Occasional Series)
- Culinary Linguistics: The chef’s special
Additional info for Information Structure in Indigenous Languages of the Americas
6. Here are throughout this paper, the formative -ha is not provided with a gloss, since forms like diha ‘he’, nuha ‘I’ etc can be considered fossilized. 7. Despite a formal similarity between -na ‘object marker on pronouns’ and -naku ‘topical non-subject’, there is no evidence for any historical link between these (see Aikhenvald 2006). 8. Alternatively, Tariana can be considered ‘discourse-configurational’ (cf. Kiss 1995). Note that I refrain from using the term ‘word order’ since it does not allow us to distinguish between order of individual words within a phrase (or phrasal constituent order) and order of clausal constituents.
It should also be pointed out that in Lushootseed there is no equivalent of BE and, hence, no lexical element to appear in the DSyntS. Instead, SemA 2 of ‘be’, ‘salmon’, becomes the DSynt predicate and takes SemA 1 as its first Deep-Syntactic actant (DSyntA I), the seman- 50 David Beck teme ‘be’ finding its expression in the construction NPRED → N rather than in a lexical item, as it does in most languages. Table 3. Lushootseed constraint rankings for Figure 4 Candidate Node ) ‘salmon’ ‘be’ ‘thing’ ‘dist’ REN CDEN SPEN * *!
Spinardi Jubran, Hudinilson Urbano, Leonor L. Fávero, Luiz Antonio Marcuschi, Maria do Carmo O. T. Santos, Mercedes Sanfelice Risso 1996 Aspectos do processamento do fluxo de informação no discurso oral dialogado. In Gramática do Português Falado, Vol. 1. ), 143-84. Campinas: Editora da Unicamp/FAPESP. Lambrecht, Knud 1994 Information structure and sentence form. Topic, focus and the mental representation of discourse referents. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Miller, Marion 1999 Desano grammar.